CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Off Topics > Peugeot Discussion

Old 28-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Explorer

Wow...very interesting . What is ur impression of the interior space compare to C5. Did u mng to test drive today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
i'll just raise another point (feel free to ignore it if it's not an important factor to you, or if you discover i'm giving you outdated information :-) )

i believe (unless the specifications have changed) that the C5's two front seat-backs have double-articulation, meaning that for the portion of the front seat which supports the back and shoulders of the driver and front-passenger, that portion is divided into a lower half and an upper half (which supports the shoulders) - i am not talking about lumbar support, for which both cars have four-way adjustable lumbar-support.

in other words, for the C5, the upper backrest can be brought forward independent of the main backrest, to support the front-passenger and driver's shoulders.

for the 508 (even in Allure trim) i saw today that it was a single-piece backrest.

(if this turns out to be out-of-date information on the C5, i apologise, please feel free to ignore it).
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
theory_87
Regular

I when to take a look at the 508 yesterday. It a strip down version of C5 imo... No hydractive suspension and e-parking brake. The rear passenger leg room is smaller too.
theory_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
voyager
Capitaine

hello Explorer,

i do apologise for missing your earlier post.

i try to keep on top of things, but i missed it.

truly sorry.
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
2016 (2014) C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDi
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
Initialp

Default 508 vs C5

Been driving my 508 for a month now so offering this forum my feedback. Firstly, Peugeot has never used hydraulic suspension in any of their models. Hydraulic suspension offers a very comfortable ride but looses out in absolute driving dynamics ( I know who will disagree here).
Between Macpherson struts and double wishbone, the latter is a more sophisticated design, more expensive to build and heavier. However it does not mean Macpherson struts are inferior. The VW Golf GTI and Mondeo uses this setup. I had the 407 (double wishbone) but the 508 corners much better. I suspect this is due to the 508 weight (lighter) and the power from the THP engine.
Build quality: 508 has a small edge though the new 2012 C5 would no doubt be even better. The sound system on the Active sucks, so I had the front spks upgraded. Unless your car has the JBL system, PSA uses very low cost spks on their models. I suggest you changed these.
p.s. the paddle shifts are really nice to use on the fast drive up Malaysia east coast.
Initialp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
citroenc5

Default Pug508 and C5

I sold my old C5 which was a 2nd car recently and was seriously considering the new C5 or Pug 508. Tried both and found that the C5 feels more comfy vs. the Pug508.

The Pug508 feels more uptight, the build quality and finishing more modern than the C5, the paddle shifters, HUD, push start and alarm electronics quite nice. Drive train wise, the gears of the Pug508 is much taller and if you drive it hard, handling is more on the firm end.

Price wise, as of yesterday S$139K was the best I could from AutoFrance for the Allure version after a 7K overtrade + 1 month free installment + 6 bid guaranteed COE. The deal also came with 1 year free maintenance (materials and labour included at 10K intervals).

The only down side is the sale consultant was very hesitant to sell, really not interested to answer questions even though I was prepared to buy, didn't even run through the loan breakdown ..

On the post purchase maintenance, there is no guarantee of courtesy car, and the manager was not interested to explain what would happen if the multitude of electronics would fail and require replacement within the 3yr / 100K warranty.

Different compared to the sales consultant from C&C which was more knowledgeable and at least provided the full details on after sales service, the what if if there are warranty claims and a decent price S$133K for the top end model.

Just not sure if I should spend the extra $$$ for the Pug508 though newer, more fancy electronics but with the worry that it will stay in the workshop more often.
citroenc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
sq777

Hi CitroenC5,
Its great to be be in your position, the feeling before buying is hard to describe.
I'm surprise you experience poor service at Auto France which can be critical when making decision. The sales guy who serve me previously was great, very patient and professional.
Are you trading-in your old car at C&C also, what about the trade-in price between the 2 ?
You're getting a good price for C5 Exclusive, the Hydractive III+ suspension itself will cost alot more. If you're already driving C5, will you be able to accept steel suspension ? I nearly bought C5 if not because of the very poor trade-in price.
The plus point of 508 is that the model is relatively new and interior wise looks better.
Take your time to decide, happy shopping.
sq777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
citroenc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq777 View Post
Hi CitroenC5,
Its great to be be in your position, the feeling before buying is hard to describe.
I'm surprise you experience poor service at Auto France which can be critical when making decision. The sales guy who serve me previously was great, very patient and professional.
Are you trading-in your old car at C&C also, what about the trade-in price between the 2 ?
You're getting a good price for C5 Exclusive, the Hydractive III+ suspension itself will cost alot more. If you're already driving C5, will you be able to accept steel suspension ? I nearly bought C5 if not because of the very poor trade-in price.
The plus point of 508 is that the model is relatively new and interior wise looks better.
Take your time to decide, happy shopping.
Hi sq777:

Maybe it was my luck when I visited AF last Saturday and it was in the evening. My old C5 was 5 years old so sold it at scrap plus $10K for the body not bad as I broke even. At the COE prices now, we are back to the good old days I guess - you buy a car with at least $20 - 30K down payment, drive it until your loan breakeven and dispose. For a 7 year loan the breakeven is at the end of 3.5 years (when your warranty tends to end). A 10 year loan would be at 5 years (you have 2 years to contend with own maintenance).

Really if you are selling a car to a 2nd hand dealer this days, it does not matter if it is a BMW, VW or Citroen IMO as the more reputable brand means you had paid more in the past but at 5 years, it is the scrap and estimated body value that counts.

I was told that scrap the 2nd had dealer cannot change, body value at 5 years should be about 50% of OMV depending on mileage and condition regardless if it is a BMW or Citroen. The dealer would these days resell your car for a S$5 - 10K profit anyway depending on make i.e. Citroen $5K markup but BMW $10K markup. Didn't want to sell direct, due to the hassle of closing the deal and then miss out on the COE bidding cycle i.e. wait 2 weeks then the agent raise price by $2K.

On the comparison of the cars, given the above I was more inclined on the Pug508 as my mileage is quite high 100K in 3 years and AF's warranty meets this vs. C&C. Similarly, the model and look is new too much electronics.

Still couldn't get a grip on AF warranty replacement and servicing costs.. couldn't find much feedback..
citroenc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
sq777

I agree with you as I always trade-in with the inhouse dealer to save the trouble and just drive-in for 1 to 1 exchange. The dealer will always try to match the asking price to help the sales guy close the new car order, kind of obligation.
My mileage is even higher, I already clock more than 47k km after only 15 months. Its OK, we buy the car to drive, not to park at home.
Servicing at AF is quite OK, I pay approx. $300 +/- for each 10k servicing.
The service advisor is quite friendly & also helpful to claim for warranty for my own mistake. I believe both offer reasonably good after sales service.
For me, I'll go for C5 for its better looking exterior and suspension. The car does looks bigger than 508, maybe due to its higher body.
Its all up to personal preference, whichever you decide is still a good buy.
Do post here after you decide so we can share your happiness.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
sq777

I just saw AF has brought in 508SW, did you see it at the showroom ?
The car looks huge, very nice with smart key and beautiful interior.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
mykchuen
Connoisseur

Wah, 508SW? Shall be 7 seater like the 308SW?
mykchuen is offline   Reply With Quote