CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Off Topics > Peugeot Discussion

Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
zenden

Default Sisters of the "Sisters"

Hi all,

My baby sister is eyeing on a resale Peugeot 308 (Jan 2010) white recently. Went to see the car with her yesterday, 1.6l, 4 speed auto without turbo charged. She is a bit hesitant as she had never own a conti before too, like me and she is worried about the maintenance. I had told her to go for it, follow your heart

Funny, the mileage clocked is exactly at "20,000km" when we checked. Is this coincidence or can it be altered ?

Is there any 308 owner here that can share some experience about this car ? Is there any problems or things that we can take note when buying a resale conti ? Thanks in advance for the tips and advice.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
pwgagt
Regular

Hi Joey,

Just some personal thoughts, if I were able to alter the mileage, I would make it look like 19358 instead of 20000.

Sorry, just my personal opinion, I may be wrong. Other members may give you more professional answers
pwgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
yattokame
Regular

Call peugeot's agent (Autofrance?) and check the last servicing date and mileage.

No matter what the 2nd hand car dealer says.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Phantom

Hi Joey,

Based on the information you provided, the car should be under warranty. Given the mileage, the owner should have sent in to AF for servicing. If you are buying direct from owner, the servicing records should be there. Otherwise, just go down to AF and act blur ...

Tell them that you are coming in for 20K servicing for the car and see what the receptonist says ... If she asks for the appt date, it is likely the mileage is fine. Then you can also ask casually when the car came in the last time.

From my personal experience with Pug, you need not worry much if you are buying within warranty period.

IMHO

Thanks!

99: Pre-owned Hyundai Elantra (Sold-2002)
02: New Peugeot 206 1.4A (Retired-2007)
07: New Peugeot 307SW 2.0A (Retired 2012)
10: Pre-owned Nissan March (Sold-2011)
11: Pre-owned Citroen C4 5S (Enjoying it)
12: New Peugeot 508SW THP (Love at first sight)
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
bobztoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenden View Post
Hi all,

My baby sister is eyeing on a resale Peugeot 308 (Jan 2010) white recently. Went to see the car with her yesterday, 1.6l, 4 speed auto without turbo charged. She is a bit hesitant as she had never own a conti before too, like me and she is worried about the maintenance. I had told her to go for it, follow your heart

Funny, the mileage clocked is exactly at "20,000km" when we checked. Is this coincidence or can it be altered ?

Is there any 308 owner here that can share some experience about this car ? Is there any problems or things that we can take note when buying a resale conti ? Thanks in advance for the tips and advice.
I think 20,000 for 20 months use is fairly average.. So really no need to tweak.. Maybe coincidence

As mentioned, given the small Peugeot market here and this car is still under warranty, it is highly likely the car is being serviced by auto France so you can probably check service records
bobztoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
zenden

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the reply and info. It doesn't cross our mind that it is still under warranty and we can always check with Autofrance We will also ask for the servicing records from the owner. Apparently the owner is overseas and it is under consignment sales by one of the dealers which do not have much information.

Is $80k for this car a good deal with OMV $21k and COE $18k ? Unfortunately, transfer fee will have to bear by the buyer.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Phantom

Hi Zenden,

A rough estimation: Depreciation is about 6.5K - 7K per year ... IMHO, a little bit high considering the COE is <20K.

At the end of the day, the condition of the car and the feel of the would-be owner decide.

You may also want to send the car for a STA check if it has been in an accident. You may have to foot the cost of the check though.

99: Pre-owned Hyundai Elantra (Sold-2002)
02: New Peugeot 206 1.4A (Retired-2007)
07: New Peugeot 307SW 2.0A (Retired 2012)
10: Pre-owned Nissan March (Sold-2011)
11: Pre-owned Citroen C4 5S (Enjoying it)
12: New Peugeot 508SW THP (Love at first sight)
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
zenden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Hi Zenden,

A rough estimation: Depreciation is about 6.5K - 7K per year ... IMHO, a little bit high considering the COE is <20K.

At the end of the day, the condition of the car and the feel of the would-be owner decide.

You may also want to send the car for a STA check if it has been in an accident. You may have to foot the cost of the check though.
The seller stand very firm on the price and do not want to lower any further. Condition of the car looks and smell new. That is the only consolation. Oh, not forgetting, it already installed with reverse cam. My sis loves the car. Thanks for the infor, we will see how the negotiation goes.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
bobztoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Hi Zenden,

If you look at resale market, 2009 - early 2010 cars have the widest gap between asking price to paper value..

I actually think the depreciation is relatively reasonable.. I think an equivalent car of a different brand will depreciate easily above 8k per annum
Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
bobztoise

I believe the unit you looking at is listed as asking 84k on sgCarMart
White glass roof unit

There is only one other 2010 unit asking 85k but 2 years younger so perhaps not much room to negotiate beyond 80k unless you can deal with the seller directly