CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Model Specific Discussions > C4 Cactus

Old 04-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #21
voyager
Capitaine

congratulations, event_horizon!!!

:-)

2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
2016 (2014) C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDi
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #22
event_horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphee View Post
Congrats, event_horizon. You would like the vehicle. Red was my initial choice, and was told there was only one red unit for booking, but then decided to change to yellow.

The cactus is a very decent and safe family transporter. Because it is light, the ride quality and handling is really good IMO. The engine could do with more power I agree, but it's still adequate up to our highway speeds. Just note that you can't storm off the lights with this car!

Due to its smaller size and ease of handling, I actually prefer to drive the cactus than my other DS5 to be honest.
Hi sphee,
What are the stock tyres that came with your car?
event_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #23
sphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by event_horizon View Post
Hi sphee,
What are the stock tyres that came with your car?
Hi, I got Michelin Energy Saver + in 205/55/16, as with the other cactus I see in the showroom too.

It's a fairly new model in Michelin's European line-up. A decent tyre, according to the reviews, but not with the best grip in the wet. Officially it scores an "A" for wet grip though, under the EU tyre labelling scheme.
sphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #24
event_horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphee View Post
Hi, I got Michelin Energy Saver + in 205/55/16, as with the other cactus I see in the showroom too.

It's a fairly new model in Michelin's European line-up. A decent tyre, according to the reviews, but not with the best grip in the wet. Officially it scores an "A" for wet grip though, under the EU tyre labelling scheme.
Ok got it.
Typical of eco tyres. Low rolling resistance + low treadwear = poorer wet grip.
event_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #25
swlg.lim

Default How best to drive ETG

Hi All

Am a new Citroen owner - just booked my Cactus last weekend at the launch! However, I noticed during the test drive and also read from reviews about the jerky ETG gear shifts, esp the first 2 gears. Any advice on how best to drive to minimise this? Would using the paddle shifts help? I am aiming for smooth driving with best fuel economiy so not sure if constant use of paddle shifts would help achieve those aims. Also do not want to wear out the gearbox.

Looking forward to successful COE bid and finally driving this classy car
swlg.lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #26
voyager
Capitaine

hello swlg.lim :-)

welcome to our community :-)

have a look at this thread (there are many others in the Picasso sub-section of our forum) which offer you tips :-)

http://www.citroenchat.com/showthread.php?t=27575

generally speaking, within a fortnight or a month, you should be able to anticipate the biting point and upshifts.

by all means use the paddles - they will not wear your gearbox out and will help your gearbox learn about your preferred style.

2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #27
swlg.lim

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
hello swlg.lim :-)

welcome to our community :-)

have a look at this thread (there are many others in the Picasso sub-section of our forum) which offer you tips :-)

http://www.citroenchat.com/showthread.php?t=27575

generally speaking, within a fortnight or a month, you should be able to anticipate the biting point and upshifts.

by all means use the paddles - they will not wear your gearbox out and will help your gearbox learn about your preferred style.

Thanks, voyager. The thread you referred to is indeed useful. I am just a little concerned as the fc mentioned there although for Picasso was to me extremely low. My current 10 yr old Sunny, which is a known gas guzzler, is giving me a decent 9-10 km/l and I was betting for the Cactus to double that (and half my petrol bill). Any idea on average what is the real fc we get on Citroen cars (as. % of the stated fc)? Does manual gear shifting using the paddles make the fc better or worse or the same? Looking forward to learn from all of you experienced Citroen drivers here 😊
Old 09-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #28
voyager
Capitaine

hello again swlg.lim :-)

(given that we are attempting to compare (diesel) apples with (petrol) oranges), the following thread might nevertheless be useful, as the common denominator is the manual ETG gearbox :-)

http://www.citroenchat.com/showthread.php?t=29229

as for shifting with paddles, what they would do is to give to your car some indication that your priority would be fuel consumption (by using the paddles to upshift early to a higher gear), and hopefully the gearbox would adopt an appropriate shifting algorithm from its map of possible shift patterns (over time). you should not need to worry about being caught in the wrong gear, because (even with paddles) the car will override the paddles in extreme circumstances so as to avoid spoiling the gearbox and engine.
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #29
swlg.lim

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
hello again swlg.lim :-)

(given that we are attempting to compare (diesel) apples with (petrol) oranges), the following thread might nevertheless be useful, as the common denominator is the manual ETG gearbox :-)

http://www.citroenchat.com/showthread.php?t=29229

as for shifting with paddles, what they would do is to give to your car some indication that your priority would be fuel consumption (by using the paddles to upshift early to a higher gear), and hopefully the gearbox would adopt an appropriate shifting algorithm from its map of possible shift patterns (over time). you should not need to worry about being caught in the wrong gear, because (even with paddles) the car will override the paddles in extreme circumstances so as to avoid spoiling the gearbox and engine.
Thanks again, Voyager! Looks like I should keep off the manual paddles unless really necessary and be light footed and relaxed in my driving for overall smoothness and low fc
Old 10-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #30
chitibangbang

Hijack this thread which I started with another similar car I test driven last week.
Peugeot 308 1.2 litre turbo. 3 cylinders, same as cactus but I did not feel the engine vibrant. It is smaller in size compared to Cactus but higher specs.
Drive was very smooth and pick up was fast with 129hp, 10.2secs century sprint.
Test drive the higher trim with city park assist (look no hands!), moon roof, LED headlights.
Sports Bucket seats and small sport steering wheel with cruise ctrl. The design and feel is same as citoren since they are the same parent company. Touch screen and CD-less.
Boot space is big for a hatchback, 470 litres.
I liked the station wagon though for boot space- Flat boot. Well if not for the rocket COE and inefficient roads, I would have gotten this as a second car
Brothers should test out the 308 and compare
chitibangbang is offline   Reply With Quote