CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Model Specific Discussions > C4

Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
phoenix

Default Lack of C4 hatch reviews

Hi!

Current C5 driver and have looked at a few cars for replacement with the C4 hatch being one. The C4 felt less refined (nosier) during test drive compared to 308 based on very short drives. I was told the test drive car was raw and not soundproofed compared to the car that will be delivered. First time I hear anyone gave such a reason.

The interior also felt less premium compared to the 308 as wel as some head scratching design like the handbrake blocking the arm rest from sliding forward and a pretty pronounced hump at the back seats. The hump is not a big problem as i seldom need to ferry 5.

Was also told car runs on timing belt and new cars nowadays runs on timing belt instead of chain. I thought its the other way round?

However it is cheaper than 308 so that mitigates the minuses.

My concern is the lack of any sort of local reviews. Therefore seeking views from those who might have gone through the same experience before.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
markfer1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Hi!

Current C5 driver and have looked at a few cars for replacement with the C4 hatch being one. The C4 felt less refined (nosier) during test drive compared to 308 based on very short drives. I was told the test drive car was raw and not soundproofed compared to the car that will be delivered. First time I hear anyone gave such a reason.

The interior also felt less premium compared to the 308 as wel as some head scratching design like the handbrake blocking the arm rest from sliding forward and a pretty pronounced hump at the back seats. The hump is not a big problem as i seldom need to ferry 5.

Was also told car runs on timing belt and new cars nowadays runs on timing belt instead of chain. I thought its the other way round?

However it is cheaper than 308 so that mitigates the minuses.

My concern is the lack of any sort of local reviews. Therefore seeking views from those who might have gone through the same experience before.
Hi bro,

Below is from my personal experience.

The fuel consumption is 11-12km /L using Ron 98. Base on 50% highway/urban spilt.

Aircon is cold even in the rear and does not fog up the front windscreen as compare to C5.

The reversal parking camera is locally fitted

At higher speed, it feel floaty unlike C5, then again, this car is much lighter then C5.

Good pick up speed due to turbo kick in early & car light weight

16" tire means future tire replacement will be cheaper then your C5

Front seat adjustment are limited and manual as compare to your C5

The economy mode which shut down the engine when the car stop for example at traffic light is annoying and C&C workshop is not able to permanent disable it for you. But there is a button on the right of the steering wheel that can disable it, but have to be press each time you drive off

The front passenger airbag cannot be disable unlike C5

The front passenger glove compartment space is even smaller then your C5. However all the storage space on all the 4 doors are significantly larger then your C5.

Last but not least, if you feel the test drive is too short, you should request for a longer test drive. I know of people who requested to drive up hdb multi storey carpark to test the car ability to climb. If you want to do it, please discuss with your salesperson and get his/her agreement.

I do not think the explanation given for the soundproofing on the test drive car is reasonable/acceptable.

If you do not feel comfy with this particular salesperson or feel that he/she is not equip with the correct/enough product knowledge, you should request to change to another salesperson. I personally do not know of any good one to intro to you.

If you eventually decide to buy this car and also believe in C&C workshop, you can consider requesting for additional 02 x year of car servicing package to match the 5 year car warranty. Do note that their car servicing package is not all inclusive in term of part/labour. There will be item that you will still need to pay cash for example, brake pad, timing belt etc. I am not sure whether the salesperson will be willing to throw this in for you but I think should be easier then asking for outright discount.

Oh ya, do ask about the value you will be getting back when you scrap the car in 10years time. The amt might scare you but I was told this is quite the norm for such car nowsday.

Happy car shopping.
markfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
phoenix

Thanks markfer1 for the detailed comparison and sharing.

Are you quite enthusiastic in your driving to achieve 11-12kmpl? Currently I can get 10kmpl on the C5 on maybe 60% highway so while I do not expect the stated 20kmpl on specs, perhaps 14-15kmpl is fair.

The startstop function which has to be disabled on every engine start is common across all the brands I have compared so I accepted that. I have heard other drivers say that this function becomes inactive when they load the car with additional electronics.

Agree the glove is very very small. The storage tray below the passenger is also quite shallow and hard to pull out.

So it is true the car runs on timing belt which needs to be change every 70-80K right? I just find the newer cars runs on timing belt explaination a bit trying to pull wool over my eyes....

The package on offer I feel is good value so might wanna go for a longer test drive before deciding. There are some pros and cons and even higher priced cars are not perfect so trying to find something that ticks most of my boxes.

Thanks for reading
Old 09-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
voyager
Capitaine

hello phoenix :-)

markfer1 used to own a C5, just like you :-) now he has a C4 :-)
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
2016 (2014) C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDi
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
hello phoenix :-)

markfer1 used to own a C5, just like you :-) now he has a C4 :-)
Thanks Voyager for your active advise to all forum partcipants
Old 09-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
markfer1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Thanks markfer1 for the detailed comparison and sharing.

Are you quite enthusiastic in your driving to achieve 11-12kmpl? Currently I can get 10kmpl on the C5 on maybe 60% highway so while I do not expect the stated 20kmpl on specs, perhaps 14-15kmpl is fair.

The startstop function which has to be disabled on every engine start is common across all the brands I have compared so I accepted that. I have heard other drivers say that this function becomes inactive when they load the car with additional electronics.

Agree the glove is very very small. The storage tray below the passenger is also quite shallow and hard to pull out.

So it is true the car runs on timing belt which needs to be change every 70-80K right? I just find the newer cars runs on timing belt explaination a bit trying to pull wool over my eyes....

The package on offer I feel is good value so might wanna go for a longer test drive before deciding. There are some pros and cons and even higher priced cars are not perfect so trying to find something that ticks most of my boxes.

Thanks for reading

Hi bro,

I am still driving my c5 2litre non turbo. I am doing 7.5-8.5km/ liter. Hope this can help u gauge my driving style better. Btw C4 can drink Ron 95.

Fuel economy is not so impt to me beco I believe this C4 will clock less then 5k km per year.

Timing chain or belt honestly I do not know. Just call the service center to ask ya.

Road tax is cheaper too ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2017, 05:25 AM   #7
auto_emocion
Connoisseur

Gentlemen, why another citroen?
Old 10-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #8
markfer1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_emocion View Post

Good question.

This car is not for me to begin with. Pricing was a big factor. Looks to us was not bad and not so common on the road.

Car ownership in Singapore to me is not a logical & irrational decision to begin with. Ha ha

Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
phoenix

Thanks! Think my routes are less congested and i expected to get 2km/l more compared to your mileage. I do over 20K per yr

I am looking at 1L and 1.2L turbo cars as well as 1.6NA. Some 1.6NA popular cars have cheaper insurance so maybe that evens out the road tax. Compared to current 2L Citreon, yes save on road tax and insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfer1 View Post
Hi bro,

I am still driving my c5 2litre non turbo. I am doing 7.5-8.5km/ liter. Hope this can help u gauge my driving style better. Btw C4 can drink Ron 95.

Fuel economy is not so impt to me beco I believe this C4 will clock less then 5k km per year.

Timing chain or belt honestly I do not know. Just call the service center to ask ya.

Road tax is cheaper too ya.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_emocion View Post
Lower depreciation if driven for 10years one of the factors. If selling off midway perhaps yes the Jap/Korean makes might actually cost less even though the selling price is higher since they seem to have better resale.

Also hope not be driving a very common car and mistake another car for yours. But there is a good reason the car is common also.

So in the end, a Citroen is less common, better equiped in general compared to the popular makes. Then u hope you like it enough to drive as long as possible and for things to fail not too very often than the jap/kor