CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Model Specific Discussions > C4

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
jroz79
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Default Citroen C4 I 1.6 Hatch

Hi guys,

Anyone still driving C4 I 1.6 hatch?
Totally loved my ride, was considering to renew its COE.
Total Mileage: 305,000km.
Gearbox overhauled at 290,000km.
Any recommendations to purchase catalytic converter for this model?





Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by jroz79; 27-10-2018 at 02:04 PM.
jroz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
SkyC4
Connoisseur
 
SkyC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroz79 View Post
Hi guys,

Anyone still driving C4 I 1.6 hatch?
Totally loved my ride, was considering to renew its COE.
Total Mileage: 305,000km.
Gearbox overhauled at 290,000km.
Any recommendations to purchase catalytic converter for this model?





Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Wow! I scrapped mine at 10th year even tho it was working ok.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
jroz79
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Default

maybe i got very used to driving it. Considering mileage is high but yet, just overhaul gearbox, replaced timing belt, alternator, flushed coolant system, flush brake fluid.
In a dilemma, whether to save it or not.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
jroz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
SkyC4
Connoisseur
 
SkyC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroz79 View Post
maybe i got very used to driving it. Considering mileage is high but yet, just overhaul gearbox, replaced timing belt, alternator, flushed coolant system, flush brake fluid.
In a dilemma, whether to save it or not.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
It's a good car. Worth maintaining if all systems are ok. I didn't want to let go the scrap rebate

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
voyager
Capitaine
 
voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,415
Default

i agree,

that model was over-engineered for its time.

keep it if it is running well :-)

(it also has a much more coherent design than the present portfolio)
__________________
2003 C5 2.0
2005 C4 1.6 (dad's)
2006 C5 2.0
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
2016 (2014) C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDi
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
SkyC4
Connoisseur
 
SkyC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 874
Default

Anyway, COE is low. Let's say you renew for 5 years at abt $15k. It's $3k per year. And if everything works and is well maintained (you've already done the big ticket gearbox overhaul). There're few other items that will cost as much to repair/maintain.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
jroz79
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Default

didnt know if lucky or unlucky to have gearbox broken down at 290k. Anyway, have prepared for minor repairs that i am looking at for the next 5yrs/ 10yrs.
1. alternator
2. air compressor/ condenser
3. battery
4. front/ suspension
5. mounting (everywhere)
6. tyres
7. rear brake disc with bearings (havent change since day one)
8. front wheel bearing (can really last for 300k)
9. catalytic converter ( found a crack in the hive)
10. Air filter holder
11. rear boot strut (gets weaker as it aged.)
12. roof lining fabric
Above are regular wear/ tear though.

The engine is well maintained every 10k km.
Wonder if the engine can last till 450k/600k.
Prepared for an overhaul in later date.

This car is seriously over-engineered 10yrs ago The only comparison closed to this car is hyundai i30 hatch to date.

The atheistic of the car design doesn't bores you. it still looks as good. its top speed is 202km/h. FC is average 12km/h. Full tank can go average 600km which is still a beauty by today's standard.

Any opinions for to keep this or to get a 2nd hand c5 instead. what is the worst problem i may face if i were to get a C5?






Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
jroz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
SkyC4
Connoisseur
 
SkyC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroz79 View Post
didnt know if lucky or unlucky to have gearbox broken down at 290k. Anyway, have prepared for minor repairs that i am looking at for the next 5yrs/ 10yrs.
1. alternator
2. air compressor/ condenser
3. battery
4. front/ suspension
5. mounting (everywhere)
6. tyres
7. rear brake disc with bearings (havent change since day one)
8. front wheel bearing (can really last for 300k)
9. catalytic converter ( found a crack in the hive)
10. Air filter holder
11. rear boot strut (gets weaker as it aged.)
12. roof lining fabric
Above are regular wear/ tear though.

The engine is well maintained every 10k km.
Wonder if the engine can last till 450k/600k.
Prepared for an overhaul in later date.

This car is seriously over-engineered 10yrs ago The only comparison closed to this car is hyundai i30 hatch to date.

The atheistic of the car design doesn't bores you. it still looks as good. its top speed is 202km/h. FC is average 12km/h. Full tank can go average 600km which is still a beauty by today's standard.

Any opinions for to keep this or to get a 2nd hand c5 instead. what is the worst problem i may face if i were to get a C5?






Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
The wear and tear items list are pretty "comprehensive" in the sense that it's pretty much all you have to fix to keep the car going another good 5 or 10 years. Gearbox failing at 290k is already very very good. Do rem for AL4 box, try to change the original Esso/Mobil LT71141 gearbox oil every 20k.

As for C5. There are 2 engine types. The 2L with AL4 (same gearbox as your C4). The engine is as reliable as your C4's but you pray that the previous owner took care of the gear box.

The "newer" C5s use the BMW Mini Prince engine. 1.6L turbo. Prone to engine oil leaks due to failed turbo hoses, gaskets. Runs on timing chain, the chain tensioners are known to weaken, slacken or fail. Very sensitive to the engine oil type. Needs to be low sulfur and yet resistant to evaporation. Not many oils out there can meet this spec. Also, be prepared for a shorter oil change interval (7-8k) instead of 10k. But the 6 speed Aisin gearbox is very reliable, smooth and energy efficient.

Both types of C5 can come with regular spring suspensions (which are very good too). Front double wishbone and multi-link rear suspension. Handles very well and comfy.

Or, instead of springs, the hydraulic (hydropneumatic) suspension which CitroŽns are famous for.

A number of us remaining C5 owners have already (or going to) change the hydraulic wheel struts (shock absorbers) due to either stiffening or leaking of hydraulic fluid). We have quite a bit of mileage too (ranging from 70k to 150k, but nowhere near your 300k on the C4). So it's wear and tear.

In short, the C5 is also a lovely car to own. Expect higher maintenance costs. But looking back, I really missed my C4. It was a marvelous piece of engineering.


Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
SkyC4
Connoisseur
 
SkyC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 874
Default

By the way, I have a brand new C4 rear wiper which I no longer have use for. If you need it, let me know


Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
jroz79
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for the offer. i will let you know if i need it. still considering if i want to renew my coe.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
jroz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Citroenchat.com is not affiliated with CitroŽn or any other commercial company. "Citroen", its logos, and model names are registered trademarks of PSA.