CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Model Specific Discussions > C5

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
DaveFr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 59
Default Anyone installed One?

Hi guys,

Was reading abt the issues of the 1.6 thp with oil blowback and inlet valves.
Most people recommend installing a Catch can to help lessen the carbon on the inlet valves. Anyone here fitted a catch can on their C5?

Any other ways to clean the inlet valves without removing heads?

Dave
DaveFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
theory_87
Regular
 
theory_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 360
Default

No. No need for oil catch can. Your engine need some of those water/oil to operate at their optimum.

To clean,
1. remove the pcv pipe and let the engine suck in seafoam, water or amsoil power foam to clean. You can check online how to do it.

2. Use low or mid saps engine oil. To determine if the engine oil is low or mid saps, lookout for ACEA C2 for low saps or ACEA C3 for mid saps on the oil label.

A solution to prevent carbon built up, delete the PCV by capping it with pcv/inlet valve blanking caps.

Was using seafoam and using Total 5w30 INEO low saps on my engine and recently just capped the pcv/inlet valve after replacement of timing chain components. My engine is relatively clean from carbon built up when we inspect during the replacement of timing chain components.
__________________
2006 - Hyundai Avante (Maroon)
2010 - Citroen C4 Picasso 5 Seater 1.6THP (Black)
2012 - Citroen C5 Exclusive 1.6THP (White)
theory_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
SkyC4
Connoisseur
 
SkyC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 814
Default

I also highly recommend Mobil 1 5w30 ESP low SAP

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
theory_87
Regular
 
theory_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 360
Default

Never use Mobil 1 5w30 ESP low SAP before.

But my encounter with Total INEO ECS is quite positive. This is also the oil recommended by PSA Group. Engine rev more freely and quieter. However this is not full synthetic oil.

Castrol Edge FTS 5w30 is noisier than total in my experience.

Will try out either AMSOIL AFL 5w40 or Penrite Enviro+ 5w40 Extra Ten next. These two are one of the best around for GDI and Diesel with DPF engine.
__________________
2006 - Hyundai Avante (Maroon)
2010 - Citroen C4 Picasso 5 Seater 1.6THP (Black)
2012 - Citroen C5 Exclusive 1.6THP (White)
theory_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
DaveFr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 59
Default

Thanks for the advice bro. Yup i was talking to Micheal formerly from TnP during my servicing last week. He did recommend me the plugs to fit. I fitted those plugs already. Been using Mobil 1 5W50 as recommended by Micheal.
You got a picture of the place you spray the seafoam? I was thinking of doing that as well.
DaveFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
SkyC4
Connoisseur
 
SkyC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory_87 View Post
Never use Mobil 1 5w30 ESP low SAP before.

But my encounter with Total INEO ECS is quite positive. This is also the oil recommended by PSA Group. Engine rev more freely and quieter. However this is not full synthetic oil.

Castrol Edge FTS 5w30 is noisier than total in my experience.

Will try out either AMSOIL AFL 5w40 or Penrite Enviro+ 5w40 Extra Ten next. These two are one of the best around for GDI and Diesel with DPF engine.
Mobil 1 5w30 ESP is based on PAO - full synthetic.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Citro3n
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Will take note of those tips
Citro3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
theory_87
Regular
 
theory_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFr View Post
Thanks for the advice bro. Yup i was talking to Micheal formerly from TnP during my servicing last week. He did recommend me the plugs to fit. I fitted those plugs already. Been using Mobil 1 5W50 as recommended by Micheal.
You got a picture of the place you spray the seafoam? I was thinking of doing that as well.
Since you already plugged, you can't do the seafoam treatment via the PCV hose.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/3669526/

You can try this way. I haven't try this way and I'm worried about fouling the mass airflow sensor in the hose.

I'm also trying to find LiquiMoly Pro-Line throttle valve cleaner used in the link above but no luck. Need to head north to buy.

Had previously used Mobil 1 5w50 before and find the car will occasionally stutter while stationery and revving the engine felt like tight rubber band compared to other low-mid sap oil. I'm currently using AMSOIL European Formula AFL 5w40 which is excellent but expensive. Bought Fuchs GT1 5w40 ACEA C3 to try for my next servicing in a month time.

Do you find after plugging the intake valve, the exhaust smell is stronger and after a long period of idling, the exhaust will produce white smoke?
__________________
2006 - Hyundai Avante (Maroon)
2010 - Citroen C4 Picasso 5 Seater 1.6THP (Black)
2012 - Citroen C5 Exclusive 1.6THP (White)

Last edited by theory_87; 11-04-2018 at 04:09 PM.
theory_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
DaveFr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory_87 View Post
Since you already plugged, you can't do the seafoam treatment via the PCV hose.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/3669526/

You can try this way. I haven't try this way and I'm worried about fouling the mass airflow sensor in the hose.

I'm also trying to find LiquiMoly Pro-Line throttle valve cleaner used in the link above but no luck. Need to head north to buy.

Had previously used Mobil 1 5w50 before and find the car will occasionally stutter while stationery and revving the engine felt like tight rubber band compared to other low-mid sap oil. I'm currently using AMSOIL European Formula AFL 5w40 which is excellent but expensive. Bought Fuchs GT1 5w40 ACEA C3 to try for my next servicing in a month time.

Do you find after plugging the intake valve, the exhaust smell is stronger and after a long period of idling, the exhaust will produce white smoke?
I can smell the exhaust slightly stronger outside but never see any white smoke.

I was thinking to spray after the MAF sensor while getting my wife to keep giving it a light throttle.
DaveFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
theory_87
Regular
 
theory_87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 360
Default

I'm thinking of getting rubber hose and let the seafoam flow behind the MAF. I usually seafoam prior to the servicing.
__________________
2006 - Hyundai Avante (Maroon)
2010 - Citroen C4 Picasso 5 Seater 1.6THP (Black)
2012 - Citroen C5 Exclusive 1.6THP (White)
theory_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Citroenchat.com is not affiliated with CitroŽn or any other commercial company. "Citroen", its logos, and model names are registered trademarks of PSA.