CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Model Specific Discussions > C5

Old 19-01-2018, 03:44 AM   #1
Searchsoul

Default C5 1.6A Diesel. Never owned a Citroen before..

Hi guys, it's time once again to change cars cos of COE and I've come across the Citroen C5 1.6A Diesel. I'm currently driving an Accord JDM and this car is just magnificent.

I recently went to a second-hand dealer and saw the car and it was beautiful. I tried to make the salesperson give the freudian slip about the car, but all I got was "the pickup is slow" which I expected from a diesel.

So right now I'm itching to try the C5 because of all its good reviews such as comfort and savings on fuel cos it's diesel, but yet I'm afraid of all the hidden costs that come with a not-popular conti car. I've been scanning this forum for the past hour and half trying to find all sorts of problems with the C5 and naturally every car forum would be littered with their specific details. Noticeably the engine/transmission mount (second hand dealer even showed me that these were recently replaced along with brake pads), leaking engine oil and front suspensions are issues.

So my question is, how reliable is this car to you? I don't wanna be spending my fuel savings in the workshop.

What is your take on diesel power? I know performance isn't something to look at but is it really thaaat bad?

What should I know about this car?

Why are you (still) driving this car despite its faults?

Would you buy this car again if your COE is up and why?

I greatly appreciate any seniors for your input..

Thank you!
Searchsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 05:37 AM   #2
SkyC4
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchsoul View Post
Hi guys, it's time once again to change cars cos of COE and I've come across the Citroen C5 1.6A Diesel. I'm currently driving an Accord JDM and this car is just magnificent.

I recently went to a second-hand dealer and saw the car and it was beautiful. I tried to make the salesperson give the freudian slip about the car, but all I got was "the pickup is slow" which I expected from a diesel.

So right now I'm itching to try the C5 because of all its good reviews such as comfort and savings on fuel cos it's diesel, but yet I'm afraid of all the hidden costs that come with a not-popular conti car. I've been scanning this forum for the past hour and half trying to find all sorts of problems with the C5 and naturally every car forum would be littered with their specific details. Noticeably the engine/transmission mount (second hand dealer even showed me that these were recently replaced along with brake pads), leaking engine oil and front suspensions are issues.

So my question is, how reliable is this car to you? I don't wanna be spending my fuel savings in the workshop.

What is your take on diesel power? I know performance isn't something to look at but is it really thaaat bad?

Thank you!
I've not had a more comfortable car than the C5

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #3
SkyC4
Connoisseur

Quote:

Thank you!
I own a second hand petrol C5. Now it's 5+ years old. No issues. The diesel engine is reliable. Is it the 4 speed gearbox? If so, I hope the previous owner change gearbox oil regularly. It's a known issue. Search for AL4 gearbox.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
voyager
Capitaine

welcome to our community, Searchsoul :-)

i think (to respond to SkyC4's query) that if it's a diesel, it will be the six-speed semi-automatic gearbox (ie, a manual gearbox without a clutch pedal).

the car should have '+/-' paddles on either side of the steering wheel, and a manual handbrake (not an electrical 'pull' handle, but an actual traditional manual handbrake.

my present car is a diesel matched with the semi-automatic 'box, and i do enjoy the combination of (relative) performance (thanks to the torque) and economy.

if you are coming from a JDM Accord, you must be aware of the differences in character between a petrol VTEC and a European turbo-diesel.

the VTEC performs best (as you know) when you keep it at high revs (i owned a '94 Civic VTi).

the diesel, on the other hand, does not have a high rev limit (nor does it like high revs) but develops a wallop of torque from very low revs and to get the best out of it you need to keep the engine at mid-revs. in-gear acceleration will then be (relatively) good.

the C5 is heavier than the JDM Accord, so the power-to-weight ratio will be worse, but the torque will help make up for it.

it cannot pull away from traffic lights in the way you are used to with your Accord.

but you will be able to overtake uphill in a way that you will not be able to in your Accord :-)
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
2016 (2014) C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDi
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Searchsoul

Default Thanks everyone!

Wow!! Thank you all for your prompt replies! I didn't expect a reply so fast! :O I'm actually going for a test drive this afternoon and y'all just gave me the assurance I need!

Thanks voyager for your input on performance! Thankfully I'm quite light footed cos the accelerator feels like my heart. The harder I step, the more my heart pain cos petrol $$$ So I rarely have moments of "VTEC just kicked in yo!!!".
Reason I was skeptical cos the car has been in the showroom for 3 weeks, and of course the impending problems that might come with it. I shall test drive it later and try to diagnose any (potential) problems from hearing and feeling

Hopefully I'll be able to drive it away!
Old 19-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
wildfaye29
Advocate

Quote:
Wow!! Thank you all for your prompt replies! I didn't expect a reply so fast! :O I'm actually going for a test drive this afternoon and y'all just gave me the assurance I need!

Thanks voyager for your input on performance! Thankfully I'm quite light footed cos the accelerator feels like my heart. The harder I step, the more my heart pain cos petrol $$$ So I rarely have moments of "VTEC just kicked in yo!!!".
Reason I was skeptical cos the car has been in the showroom for 3 weeks, and of course the impending problems that might come with it. I shall test drive it later and try to diagnose any (potential) problems from hearing and feeling

Hopefully I'll be able to drive it away!
Hi there. I sent you a pm on your Honda.

Am a regular in this forum. Not car dealer.

Do contact me Pls.

Thanks!
Sam

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
wildfaye29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
Searchsoul

Just test drove for 30mins a while ago. Things I noticed:

1. Jerkiness in shifting gears. Common problem right? Read somewhere that it can be rectified with a few tricks up the sleeve

2. Sluggish. I didn't dare to abruptly change lanes from a standstill (from behind roadworks). Is this normal? My accord and city are both nimble.

3. Climbing that slope at the bottom of 13-bends was scary as hell. Need to high rev in which the engine roared and climbed not bad-ish, then it shifted to 2 by itself. After which I needed to slow down and mid way it shifted back to 1 and it momentarily "stalled" there before roaring again. Is this normal?

3. Signal lever works sometimes. Yes, sometimes. Heard the electronics of the car is an issue. Is this common?

4. Why tf is the hazard light sooo far away lol

5. Felt the car in a way "shake backside" like Shakira style when going on a decent speed over rough patches on the road. Suspension issue?

Need your advice once again guys...
Old 20-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
voyager
Capitaine

hello Searchsoul,

the car should be absolutely stable at speed.

as for the signal lever, the four years that i had my last C5, i had no problem with it and i haven't read here that there has been a problem with other units (from members here in the forum)

in multi-storey carparks, what we do is we initiate gear shifts manually, to hold the car in first gear. this will prevent the hunting between second and first which you experienced. either paddle down manually all the way to first gear, or, put the gear selector in to M (and make sure it's in M1 by paddling down).

the sluggishness from standing start is a combination of the car's weight and the inherent behaviour of the single-clutch semi-auto, and the inherent laziness of a diesel to rev. basically, the car needs to engage the clutch before moving off (just like a manual car).

that's why i talked about performance in my earlier post.

my intention was not to talk about performance for the sake of performance itself, but to help you understand the whole design paradigm of a sizeable European car is very, very different from that of a Japanese car.

the design paradigms are almost diametrically different (they are opposite).

what appeals to European drivers in a car's characteristics is almost opposite to what appeals to Japanese drivers (in a car's characteristics), partially due to the different geographies of Europe compared to Japan.
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
Old 20-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
Searchsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
hello Searchsoul,

the car should be absolutely stable at speed.

as for the signal lever, the four years that i had my last C5, i had no problem with it and i haven't read here that there has been a problem with other units (from members here in the forum)

in multi-storey carparks, what we do is we initiate gear shifts manually, to hold the car in first gear. this will prevent the hunting between second and first which you experienced. either paddle down manually all the way to first gear, or, put the gear selector in to M (and make sure it's in M1 by paddling down).

the sluggishness from standing start is a combination of the car's weight and the inherent behaviour of the single-clutch semi-auto, and the inherent laziness of a diesel to rev. basically, the car needs to engage the clutch before moving off (just like a manual car).

that's why i talked about performance in my earlier post.

my intention was not to talk about performance for the sake of performance itself, but to help you understand the whole design paradigm of a sizeable European car is very, very different from that of a Japanese car.

the design paradigms are almost diametrically different (they are opposite).

what appeals to European drivers in a car's characteristics is almost opposite to what appeals to Japanese drivers (in a car's characteristics), partially due to the different geographies of Europe compared to Japan.
Thanks a lot voyager. Indeed they are very different especially after going through the thread in this forum about the EGS and semi-auto gearbox. Really helps in understanding the potential and limitations of the car, and subsequently appreciating it.

I found that the signal lever problem can happen to any car as it's the fuse in the wiring that has blown. If I diagnosed it correctly of course haha

Seems like I'll be enjoying a new ride for next 6 years!
Old 20-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
voyager
Capitaine

wow, brilliant news.

i am glad the car has found an owner who can appreciate it :-)

keep posting here with your queries :-)

and when you collect the car, do drive with the wet weather in mind :-)
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2