CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Model Specific Discussions > C5

Old 27-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
vet

Default 2.0 to 1.6 C5

hi Guys,
my 2009 2.0 C5 is due to retire. It isn't worth it to renew the COE as i'll need to replace a few rather expensive items, like suspension + mountings + compressor etc.
I am thinking of getting the newer 1.6 THP C5 Exclusive. Besides a smaller engine with higher BHP, what are the noticeable differences? I am also keen to know from your experiences if the heat dissipation in the engine bay is good enough for the turbocharged 1.6, thus reducing the likelihood of plastic/rubber parts degenerating ..
Thanks guys!
vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
SkyC4
Connoisseur

The THP is a hot engine compared to the 2L. Oil leaks, oil evaporation are known issues. Many of the 1.6L in the resale market would have the same required fixes as your 2L. Such as suspension, and compressor. If you had maintained it well, and changed the oil for the 4 speed gearbox regularly, why not consider changing the shocks and compressor like what some of us have done. The scrap value is painful to lose but this car is worth it if well maintained
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet View Post
hi Guys,
my 2009 2.0 C5 is due to retire. It isn't worth it to renew the COE as i'll need to replace a few rather expensive items, like suspension + mountings + compressor etc.
I am thinking of getting the newer 1.6 THP C5 Exclusive. Besides a smaller engine with higher BHP, what are the noticeable differences? I am also keen to know from your experiences if the heat dissipation in the engine bay is good enough for the turbocharged 1.6, thus reducing the likelihood of plastic/rubber parts degenerating ..
Thanks guys!
Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
vet

Thanks SkyC4.
Absolutely agree that it's a waste to scrap the car. I know as I drive to KL almost monthly. It's not the fastest, but probably one of the most comfortable.
I have accessed the replacement costs + forgoing the scrap value, totaling almost 20+K. It's a tough decision ...
Is the hot engine reliable in a C5? Michael / Thomas was telling me it gives problem in the Peugeots due to the small engine bay.
Old 27-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
SkyC4
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet View Post
Thanks SkyC4.
Absolutely agree that it's a waste to scrap the car. I know as I drive to KL almost monthly. It's not the fastest, but probably one of the most comfortable.
I have accessed the replacement costs + forgoing the scrap value, totaling almost 20+K. It's a tough decision ...
Is the hot engine reliable in a C5? Michael / Thomas was telling me it gives problem in the Peugeots due to the small engine bay.
So far touch wood is ok. Mine 2012 model

Old 27-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
theory_87
Regular

Well, My 1.6THP C5 is 6yo with 150k km mileage. Replaced quite a number of items in the last 20k. Replaced all the three engine mounting, valve stem seals, valve cover, gearbox flywheel and torque converter seals, oil pan seal, radiator, drive differential seals, timing chain, turbo oil line and thermostats. Well, it's an BMW engine so I will try to avoid any BMW engine in the future...

Not sure what will the car surprise me next. But after ratifying all the above issues, the car is a enjoy to drive again. So quiet and smooth.

Last edited by theory_87; 27-08-2018 at 08:22 PM.
theory_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
SkyC4
Connoisseur

Mine same year as you but less mileage. But Micheal has noticed some slow oil leaks and dried coolant marks around the thermostat. I think my car will be changing exactly the same parts as you. I changed compressor and condenser last month for $1100. Now super cold again. To me, it's worth the maintenance la. C5 is a nice car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory_87 View Post
Well, My 1.6THP C5 is 6yo with 150k km mileage. Replaced quite a number of items in the last 20k. Replaced all the three engine mounting, valve stem seals, valve cover, gearbox flywheel and torque converter seals, oil pan seal, radiator, drive differential seals, timing chain, turbo oil line and thermostats. Well, it's an BMW engine so I will try to avoid any BMW engine in the future...

Not sure what will the car surprise me next. But after ratifying all the above issues, the car is a enjoy to drive again. So quiet and smooth.
Old 27-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #7
vet

Appreciate the input, guys.
I should be looking at a few 1.6 C5s, it may be my third
C5 in succession. Itís hard to find another so comfortable
Old 28-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
auto_emocion
Connoisseur

There isn't much works need to be done on the 2.0L

Suspension, every high mileage car will suffer
Radiator Fan (wear & tear)
Door Hinge (design flaws)
renew AL4 ATF (servicing)
Change Timing Belts (wear & tear)

As sky mentioned, the 1.6THP is a very hot engine.

I have renewed my suspension for my 2.0L on the 8th year, still comfortable, no squeaks..

I have never driven & kept a car for more than 5.5years.. the C5 was an exception.
Old 28-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #9
auto_emocion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory_87 View Post
Well, it's an BMW engine so I will try to avoid any BMW engine in the future...
famous for oil leaks?
Old 28-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
SkyC4
Connoisseur

Very famous for that. But people still wanna buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_emocion View Post
famous for oil leaks?