CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Model Specific Discussions > C4 Picasso

Old 19-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
danjohn27

Default Engine fan still running

Hi

After I parked my car, I realised that my engine fan is still running despite I have switch off the engine. Is it part of the design to cool down the engine? Anyone have similar issue?
danjohn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
CItC4
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjohn27 View Post
Hi

After I parked my car, I realised that my engine fan is still running despite I have switch off the engine. Is it part of the design to cool down the engine? Anyone have similar issue?

Yah it is the turbo fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CItC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
yh99

Quote:
Hi

absolutely normal
yh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #4
danjohn27

Got it tks!
danjohn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
C4GP_1.6eHDi

Quote:
Hi

Had that experience too after being stuck in town due to the SG50 rehearsal. Paniked ... when aft 5mins ... fan is still running. A neighbour w VW says it's normal for turbo ... I heard about it i.e. turbo timer. But still worried ... came down to carpark after 30mins to confirm. Phew! fan stopped.
C4GP_1.6eHDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
thom.cllee

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4GP_1.6eHDi View Post
Had that experience too after being stuck in town due to the SG50 rehearsal. Paniked ... when aft 5mins ... fan is still running. A neighbour w VW says it's normal for turbo ... I heard about it i.e. turbo timer. But still worried ... came down to carpark after 30mins to confirm. Phew! fan stopped.
happened to mine too.. thought i forgot to off my car engine.. but reconfirm all off.. lucky i saw this post earlier so not too panic.. went to MSCP to reconfirm after 10 mins and no more fan sound..

Anyway, this is the only time i hear it after 2 weeks driving this car.. in what condition will the turbo fan kick off?
thom.cllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
Shawn Tan

Guys, just want to find out. This turbo fan is only used when you car kicks in Turbo? I had this problem after driving for almost 1.5-2 months. Wasn't there in the past. For Diesel, when does the turbo kicks in?

Thanks.
Shawn Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
voyager
Capitaine

hello Shawn,

the engine is designed such that the turbo will always be spinning (if only, relatively slowly).

this is because the turbocharger is spun by exhaust gases.

thus, as long as your engine is on (combusting), technically, your turbo is spinning (sometimes slowly, sometimes fast).

so, the turbo fan operates on parameters apart from whether the turbo is spinning (since it always is). what these parameters might be, i am not sure, but i guess they would include the temperature of the engine and whether the engine has been worked hard.

(the principles are the same regardless of the type of fuel :-) )

the turbo of your car is actually designed to spin up at fairly low revs, because it is designed not so much to boost high-rev power, but to provide high torque across a wide spectrum of engine rpm.
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
2016 (2014) C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDi
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
sphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Tan View Post
Guys, just want to find out. This turbo fan is only used when you car kicks in Turbo? I had this problem after driving for almost 1.5-2 months. Wasn't there in the past. For Diesel, when does the turbo kicks in?

Thanks.
Hi, I'm assuming you're actually referring to the main cooling fan. In my diesel DS5, it is always turning as long as the aircon is running, but the fan does turn at various speeds depending on other inputs.

To the previous posts about the fan running (at full blast) after the engine has stopped, yes it could be due to an insufficiently cooled-down turbo, but it's more likely due to a hot particulate filter just recently undergone regeneration.
sphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #10
Shawn Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphee View Post
Hi, I'm assuming you're actually referring to the main cooling fan. In my diesel DS5, it is always turning as long as the aircon is running, but the fan does turn at various speeds depending on other inputs.

To the previous posts about the fan running (at full blast) after the engine has stopped, yes it could be due to an insufficiently cooled-down turbo, but it's more likely due to a hot particulate filter just recently undergone regeneration.
Thanks man !
Shawn Tan is offline   Reply With Quote