CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Model Specific Discussions > C4 Picasso

Old 29-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Leisure

Default 2010 C4 Picasso

I am considering getting a 2010 C4 Picasso 1.6 THP. Seeking comments from owners regarding these points:

1. Engine/Transmission reliability
2. Fuel consumption
3. Any other common issues

I currently own a soon-to-scrap C4 SX and I find it quite reliable with proper maintenance, not many issues apart from wear and tear. Fuel consumption is a little on the high side, abt 9km/l in the city but it's the norm.

Just collecting some info prior to committing ...
Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
voyager
Capitaine

Leisure,

does the unit you are eye-ing, have the same engine and gearbox as your present car?

i am asking because (a) there were engine-gearbox permutations for both cars, over the years that they were sold in Singapore, and,

(b) if they happen to be the same, then you would know roughly what to expect (in the engine-gearbox), assuming the other car was as well looked after as yours.
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
2016 (2014) C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDi
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Leisure

Hi Voyager,

The engine is different. Mine is the 1.6 normally-aspired one while the Picasso has the THP engine. I believe the gearbox is the same, though not 100% sure - the AL4. Does the 2010 Picasso have any other gearbox?

Thanks!
Old 30-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
voyager
Capitaine

i can't remember if the 2010 model had other gearboxes.

but i think, if you are quite sure it is a PRND gearbox (and not an RNMA pattern), then it should be an AL4.

maybe,

poke around our threads using the forum's own search engine. play with the parameters. you should be able to get a few threads with the appropriate choice of keywords and search filters :-)
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
2016 (2014) C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDi
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #5
CougarGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
i can't remember if the 2010 model had other gearboxes.

but i think, if you are quite sure it is a PRND gearbox (and not an RNMA pattern), then it should be an AL4.

maybe,

poke around our threads using the forum's own search engine. play with the parameters. you should be able to get a few threads with the appropriate choice of keywords and search filters :-)
I think 2010 got 2 variants i.e., AL4 and EGS (aka semi auto using robotic clutch).
CougarGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Leisure

So, is there anything that I should watch out for in moving from the normally-aspirated to the turbo engine?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
SkyC4
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure View Post
So, is there anything that I should watch out for in moving from the normally-aspirated to the turbo engine?
The naturally aspirated engine (which I had with a 2007 C4 hatch) is robust, easy to fix, and reliable. The THP, which I believe you already know to be a BMW Mini engine has some common issues. Check for slackened timing chain (and malfunctioning chain tensioners), oil leaks (very common), turbo housing cracks. Also, it is very prone to engine oil consumption - many people either do top ups themselves, or have shorter oil change intervals (such as 5k - 8k, instead of the usual 10k). The careful selection of oil will help. Typically, go for mid SAP (sulfur, ash, phosphorus) level oils with low evaporative tendencies (technically known as the NOACK value expressed as percentage; "low" is anything between 5% to 9%; the lower the better). Some of us who own various models with the THP engine have had good experiences with Mobil 5w30 ESP, Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro Flex 5w30. I am also looking to try Ravenol 5w30 DXG. All are mid SAP and low evaporative oils.

I hope you have a good experience owning the Picasso.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Leisure

Thanks for the detailed info SkyC4. At least, I know what to expect and to look out for now!
Old 25-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Taihighland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyC4 View Post
The naturally aspirated engine (which I had with a 2007 C4 hatch) is robust, easy to fix, and reliable. The THP, which I believe you already know to be a BMW Mini engine has some common issues. Check for slackened timing chain (and malfunctioning chain tensioners), oil leaks (very common), turbo housing cracks. Also, it is very prone to engine oil consumption - many people either do top ups themselves, or have shorter oil change intervals (such as 5k - 8k, instead of the usual 10k). The careful selection of oil will help. Typically, go for mid SAP (sulfur, ash, phosphorus) level oils with low evaporative tendencies (technically known as the NOACK value expressed as percentage; "low" is anything between 5% to 9%; the lower the better). Some of us who own various models with the THP engine have had good experiences with Mobil 5w30 ESP, Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro Flex 5w30. I am also looking to try Ravenol 5w30 DXG. All are mid SAP and low evaporative oils.

I hope you have a good experience owning the Picasso.

For 9 yrs old car, will 5w40 a better choice as our engine aged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taihighland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
SkyC4
Connoisseur

The typical workshop will ask u to use a more viscous oil such as 5w40 or even 5w50. Not only will your fuel efficiency worsen, it can unnecessarily cause strain to parts which weren't designed to handle the extra viscosity (such as the timing chain). I personally tried a 5w40 and the chain rattled more. A few of us tried and agree that the best oil (low SAPS, extremely low evaporation) for this engine is Mobil ESP 5w30 (can be bought at MX tradings in Ubi for $16 per L; I've no business interest with MX).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taihighland View Post
For 9 yrs old car, will 5w40 a better choice as our engine aged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote