CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community

CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community (http://www.citroenchat.com/index.php)
-   DS Series (http://www.citroenchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   DS3 Potential New Owner (http://www.citroenchat.com/showthread.php?t=30075)

Milo 27-02-2018 06:47 PM

DS3 Potential New Owner

Hi, i'm looking to purchase a 2nd hand DS3. thinking to send to AA to evaluate or should Thomas be better in giving a good evaluation before I purchase the car ? And also what should I look out for that are potential issues for DS3 ? Appreciate any advice

voyager 28-02-2018 05:00 AM

hello Milo,

welcome to our community :-)

things have been quiet here, so i am not sure how many responses you will get.

which model of DS 3 have you identified for yourself?

i have not been keeping current, but over the years there have been at least:

1.2 non-turbo with five-speed semi-automatic gearbox,
1.6 non-turbo with four-speed automatic gearbox,
1.6 turbo with six-speed manual.

the 1.6s are the earliest ones.

the 1.6 turbo (not sure about the 1.6 naturally aspirated) is basically a BMW Mini Prince engine (can google).

the 1.6 naturally aspirated, the gearbox has served many CitroŽns and Peugeots and is generally pretty hardy, unless the previous owner has not been looking after it. it should shift reasonably smoothly (but not as smoothly as one might expect from a fully-automatic Japanese car) and the shift patterns are such that there will be significant engine braking ('dragging' / high revs in low gear) when going downslope. this is normal.

as for the 1.2, the semi-automatic 'box is a manual gearbox with a clutch, but with no clutch pedal. based on experience with the identical gearbox (but with six speeds) on many CitroŽns, the initial shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear will be jerky (especially when the throttle is wide open (in other words, smoother when the accelerator pedal is not fully depressed)).

if you want, i believe CnC can also do a check for you (just awareness raising).

have a happy day ahead :-)

SkyC4 28-02-2018 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyager (Post 96291)
hello Milo,

welcome to our community :-)

things have been quiet here, so i am not sure how many responses you will get.

which model of DS 3 have you identified for yourself?

i have not been keeping current, but over the years there have been at least:

1.2 non-turbo with five-speed semi-automatic gearbox,
1.6 non-turbo with four-speed automatic gearbox,
1.6 turbo with six-speed manual.

the 1.6s are the earliest ones.

the 1.6 turbo (not sure about the 1.6 naturally aspirated) is basically a BMW Mini Prince engine (can google).

the 1.6 naturally aspirated, the gearbox has served many CitroŽns and Peugeots and is generally pretty hardy, unless the previous owner has not been looking after it. it should shift reasonably smoothly (but not as smoothly as one might expect from a fully-automatic Japanese car) and the shift patterns are such that there will be significant engine braking ('dragging' / high revs in low gear) when going downslope. this is normal.

as for the 1.2, the semi-automatic 'box is a manual gearbox with a clutch, but with no clutch pedal. based on experience with the identical gearbox (but with six speeds) on many CitroŽns, the initial shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear will be jerky (especially when the throttle is wide open (in other words, smoother when the accelerator pedal is not fully depressed)).

if you want, i believe CnC can also do a check for you (just awareness raising).

have a happy day ahead :-)

The 1.6 naturally aspirated is also the BMW Mini Prince engine.

Take the unit you are interested in for a climb on the slope (and down) to test its shifts. In a poorly maintained 4 speed auto, errors may develop on units where the gearbox oil hadn't been changed often enough (1 per 20000 km).

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Milo 07-03-2018 04:56 PM

Thanks.

It's a 1.6 non turbo automatic. I got AA to do a check and no major issues. Crossing fingers that the DS3 will work for me as only intending to use it as a point A to point B car to fetch the kids.

voyager 07-03-2018 05:45 PM

thank you very much for taking time to update, Milo :-)

the DS3 has very high torsional rigidity (it's a very solid car).

:-)

SkyC4 11-03-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milo (Post 96300)
Thanks.

It's a 1.6 non turbo automatic. I got AA to do a check and no major issues. Crossing fingers that the DS3 will work for me as only intending to use it as a point A to point B car to fetch the kids.

Would suggest to change gearbox oil immediately after taking the car (if there was no evidence of it being changed before - such as service receipts). Would cost abt $130 - $220, depending on where u go. The lower price is charged at Thomas and Partners at AMK Autopoint, level 3.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk