CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > General Topics > General Discussions (not model specific)

Old 05-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
peterlee
Advocate

Default My new tyres....

Hi All,
I've just fitted my first ever asymmetric tyres on my car.  I also googled on what made asymmetric tyres special being ignorant of this, and basically the tread pattern is supposed to provide good grip in wet and dry cornering at speed.

The tyres I chose - GT Radial Champiro Bax.

GT Radial... what's that you say?  It's an Indonesian brand.  I asked my favourite tyre shop - South East Tyres to order them for me as I had a pretty good experience with another of GT Radial's sport tyre models with my Ford Focus.  Lasted long, good grip and quiet.  Reason for going to GT Radial - CHEAP!  Really cheap!!  Cheaper than the Thai Eagle F1's and the stupid Federal 595 that I just replaced.  Price for my 16" - just about $110 each.  Remember... asymmetric ultra high performance tyres.  

Review:
Obviously too early to review, but I'll update as the days go on.
But first thing I absolutely noticed moving from the freaking noisy Federal's... (which only lasted me about 20k+ km before going bald)  For the first time since my stock michelins, I heard wind noise!!!  The Bax was so quiet for an ultra high performance tyre, even past 90kmh.  Is that a standard feature of asymmetric tyres...?  Maybe some brothers and sisters here can share.

Anyway, can't comment on the road feel and grip yet, but will add on to this thread soon.  Those on budget... you can put these on your list for consideration...  
peterlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Furry
Avant-garde

Default Re: My new tyres....

asymmetric means the inside and outside half of tyres different, and being inside/outside rather than directional, means u can do cross rotation instead just front/back

in short 3 big advantages

1) more even wear from cross rotation
2) each tyre has a split personality which enables the inner and outer half to do wat they do best
3) more stable than pure v groove ones
Furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Furry
Avant-garde

GT Radial Champiro Bax is basically a clone of michelin pilot primacy, just like hankook prime k105

in all honesty i would rather take the hankook ;D

top asymmetric tyres : pilot sport 2, csc3 , f1 asymmetric

for asymmetric vs v groove directional, immediate effect u will feel is hard cornering at high speed

at 110 a pop, i think your complete set can buy only 1.5 piece of mine

got to source for cheap and as good grip next round
Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
peterlee
Advocate

Bro, you running on csc3 of course super ex laa... :P

I almost went for the Bridgestone RE001 Adrenaline at about $200, but decided since I had a good experience with the indo, go back and try again since almost half price... but never will I again try taiwan... tyres that is... ;D Hankook I never tried before... Anyone want to start a review on that? :P

The Eagle F1 Asymmetric looks pretty tame though (in terms of tread pattern). Met another car enthusiast fitting those on his modded E200. Nice chap, have his card and will meet up with him - maybe get feedback from him and review here. :
Old 06-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
tm
Regular

Glad you have welcomed back wind noise. ;D

Have not tried Hankook, but had fitted Falken ZE512 and Bridgestone Potenza on previous rides. Both were relatively noisy, the latter more so.

So far, the stock Michellin Energy (from Spain) is still the best - based on subjective experiences. Of course, it is in a different price league too together with CSC3.
tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
peterlee
Advocate

Time for an update...

There is one very BAD point of the tyres that I just found out... look at the tread profile
http://www.gt-tires.com/tire.asp?cat...t=Champiro+BAX

You will notice that the outside of the tyres are actually unidirectional design!
And the tyres that I'm given are all the same pattern... that means... the two tyres on my left are correct design where the water grooves push water out, BUT the two right tyres have water grooves that push water IN!!!

I don't know if the wrong tyres were fitted or it's the manufacturer design fault... :'(

Anyway, back to the performance of the tyres...

So far, the tyres are still very quiet, but now has very slightly more road noise than when new. Grip is pretty progressive and won't suddenly lose grip in hard cornering. However, the tyres do squeal very loudly as it starts to lose grip, but I guess that's a good thing... So far I've only done dry road cornering and they have proven relatively grippy. I will try in wet condition and update soon (good timing that it's raining now...) :

Old 12-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Furry
Avant-garde

must test to see whats the effect
Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
peterlee
Advocate

Update again.

Tyres have proven to be really value for money so far. Still very little road noise, not as quiet as when new, but wind noise still dominates!!

Grip-wise, has proven to be above average in wet and dry. Managed to get some tyre spin on hard acceleration, but grip returns pretty fast. However, now there is some squeal in multi-storey car parks...

Haven't tried aquaplaning road holding yet... small puddles do not seem to cause any problems, must find a big one to fly through... :P
Old 03-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Furry
Avant-garde

Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Rx178
Regular

"aquaplaning road holding "???, got a few stretches to recommand. ;D
PIE towards airport, aft bedok res lane 1,
ECP towards airport, aft bayshore exit oso lane 1,
AYE towards airport oso, aft Jurong townhall exit oso lane 1.
Need big rain thou like last week, BUT PLS DRIVE WITH CARE!!!
Wonder why its always towards airport??????
Or mayb can get the TP to open up there training grd @ CCK for U to try Out ;D
Rx178 is offline   Reply With Quote