CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Model Specific Discussions > C4

Old 20-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
pwgagt
Regular

Default C4 vs. Renault Megane Sedan

Hello everyone,

Currently I am looking for a car for family use. Considering the new C4 and Renault Megane Sedan. I think safety wise they both look good. Price also similar, C4 a bit higher. How about other stuff? Would you please give me some advice?

Thanks so much!
pwgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Furry
Avant-garde

Default Re: C4 vs. Renault Megane Sedan

being in both renault forum and here, let me give my 2 cents

looks : c4 is you prefer hatch, megane if you prefer sedan (unless megane hatch)

interior : c4 is definitely much nicer, megane interior has not gone through any refresh since its introduction

performance : c4 definitely wins, newer award winning bmw co-developed engine and revised gearbox, compared to old renault engine and older revision DP0 (aka AL4) gearbox

warranty : renault wins on this one, wearnes is very much better in terms of servicing and warranty, with a 100k to boot, they also are very willing to change faulty parts even after warranty, such as power windows. cnc on the other hand seems not that willing to, and no follow up at all on previous problems feedback. 40k on, i still waiting for an answer to my inaccurate fuel gauge since day 1

things to look out for if interested in megane

1) power window fault still not solved since 2002
2) iggy coil problem still not solved
3) frequent reports of TDC (aka speed/throttle position sensor) fault
4) check the VIN numbers on the vehicles, as a few cases in renault forum have reported their cars to be 2005 stock with a 2009 facelift body
5) some have gotten poor attitude from renault salespersons, some are worse off and get "misled"

things to look out for if interested in c4 :
1) relatively higher servicing cost
2) relatively more expensive parts
3) common problems such as windscreen wiper scuttle dropping down, some other "unlucky ones" get misaligned doors and rattling in A and B pillars, rear seat rest catch, exhaust fitting joint and exhaust mounts

Furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
pwgagt
Regular

wow, Furry, thanks so much! You are expert!

I am new to cars, very hard to decide, heheheh :P

It seems now they have a promotion on C4 which includes 3 year servicing. Is that real?
Old 20-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
cars2cars

Yes, CnC is giving out 3yrs or 60,000km servicing free.
cars2cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Furry
Avant-garde

we dont get such perks
Furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
voyager
Capitaine

hello pwgagt,

welcome to our community :-)

another thing to bear in mind is that the Megane has just been replaced in Europe (but the 4-door sedan is not yet out, even in France).

the 3-door, 5-door, wagon, Scenic and Grand Scenic are all out already. the 4-door sedan and 2-door coupe-cabriolet are not yet out.

what i am trying to say is, if you are open to getting a 5-door hatch, you might want to wait to see how you like the new Megane hatch (i have no idea when it will come to Singapore). you can also use this knowledge so that when the local Renault dealer tries to lelong you, at least you know why - it is because the new model is already out in Europe.

please let me know if my description above has confused you.
2010 C5 2.0 WiFi
2013 DS 5 1.6THP WiFi
2015 C4 Cactus 1.2
2016 (2014) C4 Picasso 1.6 e-HDi
voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
pwgagt
Regular

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice. I love the look and feel of the C4. Only concern is the rear seat is very small. Is it designed as a 4 passenger car? if I put a child seat at the back, it seems that only one person is available to sit in.
Old 20-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
cars2cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry

we dont get such perks
Get a new one ;D
cars2cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Rx178
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwgagt
Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice. I love the look and feel of the C4. Only concern is the rear seat is very small. Is it designed as a 4 passenger car? if I put a child seat at the back, it seems that only one person is available to sit in.
Frankly speaking, any sedan or hatch rear passenger seat with a baby seat will struggle to seat 2 person. @ least tats wat I encounter up to now.
Rx178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Zee
Regular

The megane Sedan was also in my list of shortlisted cars when i was shopping for my current ride (C4) back then in 07.

But a quick test drive of the 2 cars convinced me that C4 wins in terms of drive performance and comfort. With the new engine for C4, it'll be even better now.

The Megane has lots of interesting electronics and gadgets to entertain me but end of the day, it's the drive performance and comfort level that i'm after. The only downside i find so far is the smaller bootsize compared to the megane. (my boot is perpetually full for some reason) But for a hatchback, it's a pretty decent size.

I'll say go for a test drive for both cars then decide. 8)
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote