CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community  

Go Back   CitroenChat.com - Singapore Citroen Community > Off Topics > The Lounge

Old 19-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
markfer1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelife View Post
Bro, thanks for yr offer. will seek yr help if i can spot a reasobable price one.

I asked some of my friends for recommendation and they told me the same thing too. Lol.

Does the lemon law help the buyer? Actually some of the dealers claimed now that they will provide 6mths warranty.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Since we are on the topic of lemon law. Can i ask a question.

Let say we buy a car from a 2nd hand dealer, before the deal is done, the car was send to STA for inspection and there is NO finding on the gear box.

Let say 3mth after taking over the car, the gearbox up the lorry, base on lemon law, does the buy have the right to go back to the 2nd hand dealer to give him the choice of repair/give discount/take back the car?

Can the 2nd hand dealer say that since STA inspection report got no findings on the gear box area, therefore they will not be liable?

Any legal nut can shed some light pls. thank you

Thanks
markfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Ram Ram
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_emocion View Post
Depending what car u have in mind.

Chassis inspection is easy, mechanical is rather difficult. I say 95% of the used cars out there all have the mileage tampered.
Talking about mileage meter tampering, I was chatting with a used-car salesperson from one of the big distributors. He related to me about one case that the customer trades-in his car. The prospective buyer went to check the servicing records of that car and the servicing records do not tally with the mileage recorded.

Naturally, the sale did not pull through and the used-car company 'advised' the previous owner to 'buy back' his car at the price they are selling but unable to because the mileage meter has been tampered. The previous owner caved-in because legal actions were threatened.

Imagine the previous owner got a new car and now has to get another loan to 'buy back' his old car!!
Ram Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
auto_emocion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ram View Post
Talking about mileage meter tampering, I was chatting with a used-car salesperson from one of the big distributors. He related to me about one case that the customer trades-in his car. The prospective buyer went to check the servicing records of that car and the servicing records do not tally with the mileage recorded.

Naturally, the sale did not pull through and the used-car company 'advised' the previous owner to 'buy back' his car at the price they are selling but unable to because the mileage meter has been tampered. The previous owner caved-in because legal actions were threatened.

Imagine the previous owner got a new car and now has to get another loan to 'buy back' his old car!!
tampering of odometer is NOT an offence, because ECU still registers the actual mileage which is the most important. That used-car dealer play beng? no case to win. Previous owner should just say meter spoil, bought a new meter but mechanic dunno how to program to actual mileage, win liao.!

Last edited by auto_emocion; 19-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.
auto_emocion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
auto_emocion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfer1 View Post
Since we are on the topic of lemon law. Can i ask a question.

Let say we buy a car from a 2nd hand dealer, before the deal is done, the car was send to STA for inspection and there is NO finding on the gear box.

Let say 3mth after taking over the car, the gearbox up the lorry, base on lemon law, does the buy have the right to go back to the 2nd hand dealer to give him the choice of repair/give discount/take back the car?

Can the 2nd hand dealer say that since STA inspection report got no findings on the gear box area, therefore they will not be liable?

Any legal nut can shed some light pls. thank you

Thanks
If you buying something off the shelf without testing it, I guess it is covered by the lemon law.

If you send the car for evaluation and later found eg. gearbox faulty, it could be the buyer's fault for the damage. I personally think Lemon law is another BS, judge may ask to go arbitration. not forgetting it is a used car, it has got wear n tear.
Old 19-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
markfer1
Connoisseur

Quote:
If you buying something off the shelf without testing it, I guess it is covered by the lemon law.

If you send the car for evaluation and later found eg. gearbox faulty, it could be the buyer's fault for the damage. I personally think Lemon law is another BS, judge may ask to go arbitration. not forgetting it is a used car, it has got wear n tear.
Hi bro,

I heard your interpretation version before, sounds logical to me. However i heard from CASE hotline that under the lemon law still got case beco lemon law make it such a way that the dealer need to ensure the car is free from any defect for 6 mth, if defect happen, then the lemon law will auto assume that the defect exist BEFORE the deal go thru and therefore the dealer will need to either fixed it or give compensation or even buy back the car.
Old 19-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
auto_emocion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfer1 View Post
Hi bro,

I heard your interpretation version before, sounds logical to me. However i heard from CASE hotline that under the lemon law still got case beco lemon law make it such a way that the dealer need to ensure the car is free from any defect for 6 mth, if defect happen, then the lemon law will auto assume that the defect exist BEFORE the deal go thru and therefore the dealer will need to either fixed it or give compensation or even buy back the car.
We are talking about USED car, so it is subjective. anyway, dealers hand pick their cars these days. their margin is enough to cover any repairs.
Old 19-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
markfer1
Connoisseur

Quote:
We are talking about USED car, so it is subjective. anyway, dealers hand pick their cars these days. their margin is enough to cover any repairs.
Hi bro,

You are correct. That was wat i told the CASE hotline lady. She say same same coverage. I was thinking in my heart, like that i dun wanna to be 2nd hand car dealer liao. any car that is not within manufacturer warranty i sure dun accept.
Old 19-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
nextreal
Avant-garde

Quote:
I say 95% of the used cars out there all have the mileage tampered.
I refuse to believe this.
Old 19-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
SkyC4
Connoisseur

I bought at republic auto. I was sceptical about the odometer reading initially. Service records at CnC couple months back for odo reading was close so lower chance of being tampered. Got AA to do a pre-purchase check. Depending on who the sales rep, can push for some replacements. Alternatively, they might offer u to get CnC service to check for about $120+. I got a few things replaced, like ATF, rear brake discs and I can't rem what else, at their cost. Overall, happy with the buy. Just not too happy with the service of a particular lady service centre rep, when I subsequently went back to change timing belt because she nvr calls back when she says she will, and over promised on the car collection date (I wasn't the one who made her commit to a certain time to call back).

By the way, AA evaluation report is more detailed than STA. STA gives a generic A,B,C while AA gives a description of their observations. In my opinion, the descriptions are more useful.

Last edited by SkyC4; 19-10-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Info on AA
SkyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
Livelife
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyC4 View Post
By the way, AA evaluation report is more detailed than STA. STA gives a generic A,B,C while AA gives a description of their observations. In my opinion, the descriptions are more useful.
thanks for yr advice skyc4. Will take note to send to AA. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Livelife is offline   Reply With Quote